Here is the sourdough Alex and I made with our sourdough starter. Isn't it cute? And it looks like a nice crusty sourdough round. That is where the similarities stop. It smells and tastes like a dense french bread. Not that there is anything wrong with French bread, but that was not what we were aiming for.
For this loaf we...
- 1 & 1/2 cups of sourdough starter
- 2 cups of bread flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- water if needed
- Combine all ingredients, except water, in the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook
- Mix until dough is combined and no longer sticking to the bowl.
- Add water if needed to crate a cohesive dough.
- Remove from mixer
- Place in lightly greased bowl.
- Set aside to rise/double in size
- Set aside to rise/double in size again
- Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for an hour
Now we are eating it all up and I'm contemplating trying to do the starter all over again with a different recipe.