So I set out to make these Thai-inspired Chicken lettuce wraps, but things went wrong. The lettuce went bad and the carrots weren't julienned. Enter baby carrots and rice noodles (think pad thai). It was an ordeal trying to find the sprouts at the local grocery store, I had to go to a store the next town over to find them!
By that time it was so late that we just made a grocery store pizza for dinner. Then yesterday Alex and I spent the day at the zoo. We were so tired on the way home that we just stopped at a local restaurant for some real Thai food. So, tonight was the night.
Thai-Inspired Chicken and noodles
- Peanut oil
- 1 large chicken breast diced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 package of mung bean sprouts
- 1 package of sliced shiitake mushrooms
- Several baby carrots chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Half a package of pad-thai noodles
- Basil leaves, sliced.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a skillet
- Cook diced chicken in oil over medium high heat for 5 minutes
- Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and ginger, cook for 2 minutes
- Add sprouts, mushrooms, and carrots.
- Reduce heat and cover for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine lime juice, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and fish sauce.
- Add to chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Cook noodles as per package
- Serve chicken over the noodles top with basil.