This leads us to the realization that we cannot grill this holiday, sad day. I did not disrepair, since this gives me the opportunity to try out a recipe that I found on Babble. It's an adaptation from a recipe found on Smitten Kitchen.
Meatless Mondays is something that I've been trying to do for some time now. Some weeks it works some weeks it doesn't. This week is a success even though Alex tried to convince me that the soup needed ground turkey, I did not give in to the meat temptation.
Black Bean Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced.
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- some baby carrots, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, diced
- olive oil
- 1 (16 oz) package of dried black beans
- 7 cups of hot water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Sour cream to top
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in pan.
- Saute onions and garlic until soft
- Place onions and garlic into slow cooker
- Heat another drizzle of olive oil in pan
- Saute carrots, red bell pepper, and celery for about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables to slow cooker
- Add beans, cumin, and chili powder to slow cooker
- Pour water over vegetables
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Add salt and lime juice
- Puree about half the soup in a blender or using an immersion blender (since I have neither I used a potato masher).
- Serve topped with the sour cream. (omit sour cream for a vegan dish)