Monday, September 3, 2012

Black Bean Soup

Happy Labor day everyone.  I'm sure there are countless backyard grills going as I write this, with hamburgers and hotdogs.  Alex and I left our trusty grill back in California, I think our little car would have looked quite the sight with a big red charcoal grill strapped to the roof as we drove 3,000 miles across the country.

This leads us to the realization that we cannot grill this holiday, sad day.  I did not disrepair, since this gives me the opportunity to try out a recipe that I found on Babble.  It's an adaptation from a recipe found on Smitten Kitchen.

Meatless Mondays is something that I've been trying to do for some time now.  Some weeks it works some weeks it doesn't.  This week is a success even though Alex tried to convince me that the soup needed ground turkey, I did not give in to the meat temptation.

Black Bean Soup


Ingredients:
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 3 celery ribs, diced.
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced 
  • some baby carrots, chopped 
  • 5 garlic cloves, diced 
  • olive oil
  • 1 (16 oz) package of dried black beans
  • 7 cups of hot water 
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder 
  • Juice of 1 lime 
  • Salt to taste 
  • Sour cream to top
Directions:
  • Heat a drizzle of olive oil in pan.
  • Saute onions and garlic until soft 
  • 004
  • Place onions and garlic into slow cooker 
  • Heat another drizzle of olive oil in pan 
  • Saute carrots, red bell pepper, and celery for about 5 minutes.  
  • Add vegetables to slow cooker
  • Add beans, cumin, and chili powder to slow cooker
  • Pour water over vegetables 
  • 006
  • Cook on low for 5 hours.
  • Add salt  and lime juice
  • Puree about half the soup in a blender or using an immersion blender (since I have neither I used a potato masher).
  • Serve topped with the sour cream.  (omit sour cream for a vegan dish)

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I can't wait to try your recipe. Visiting from Tempt My Tummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does actually looks a lot like chilli =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, but it was more watery than thick and chunky like chili would be!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...