Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Sunday.  A day of rest.  A day of making food.  Comfort food.  Today I'm making a turkey, just like this ONE.   And something sweet.  I'm trying to use up all my food stuffs before we move. I had most of the ingredients for the Joy of Cooking Pineapple Upside down cake, so I altered the recipe to fit what I had.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake
015



Ingredients:
  • 1 (20 oz) can unsweetened pineapple, drained and place in one layer on paper towels
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter 
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar 
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (I used vanilla flavored, but plain would have been better)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar 
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 
  • 6 tablespoons Greek Yogurt  (I used vanilla flavored, but plain would have been better)
009
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Place 3 tablespoons of butter in a round 9x2-inch baking pan
  • Place in oven until butter just melted 
  • Remove from oven and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom of pan 
  • Place pineapple rings on the bottom of the pan in a single layer 
  • 010
  • In a small bowl whisk together eggs, 2 tablespoons yogurt, and vanilla 
  • 011
  • In a separate large bowl, mix together with a electric mixer flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  • Add 6 tablespoons unsalted butter and 6 tablespoons yogurt.
  • Beat on low speed until flour just moistened 
  • Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 & 1/2 minutes 
  • Add egg mixture in thirds beat for 20 seconds after each addition
  • Pour batter over pineapples in the pan 
  • 012
  • Bake until tooth pick comes out clean about 35 minutes 
  • Remove from oven let cool 2 to 3 minutes 
  • 013
  • Tilt from side to side to loosen from pan 
  • Invert a serving platter on top of pan 
  • Turn the cake onto the platter 
  • 014
  • Serve.  
018

Thoughts:

Dianna: "It's perfect.  I thought the substitution of yogurt for the buttermilk would have changed everything, but it was just as good!"

Alex: "It's Fine"

I know Alex's thoughts are not very helpful I think he's just upset I made another cake when he's trying to lose some weight.  But, I've been wanting to make this for a long time!  So, like Julia Child says "No apologies."

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! Fancy coming and moving into our house? =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...