Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 (20 oz) can unsweetened pineapple, drained and place in one layer on paper towels
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (I used vanilla flavored, but plain would have been better)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons Greek Yogurt (I used vanilla flavored, but plain would have been better)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place 3 tablespoons of butter in a round 9x2-inch baking pan
- Place in oven until butter just melted
- Remove from oven and sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom of pan
- Place pineapple rings on the bottom of the pan in a single layer
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, 2 tablespoons yogurt, and vanilla
- In a separate large bowl, mix together with a electric mixer flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add 6 tablespoons unsalted butter and 6 tablespoons yogurt.
- Beat on low speed until flour just moistened
- Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 & 1/2 minutes
- Add egg mixture in thirds beat for 20 seconds after each addition
- Pour batter over pineapples in the pan
- Bake until tooth pick comes out clean about 35 minutes
- Remove from oven let cool 2 to 3 minutes
- Tilt from side to side to loosen from pan
- Invert a serving platter on top of pan
- Turn the cake onto the platter
Dianna: "It's perfect. I thought the substitution of yogurt for the buttermilk would have changed everything, but it was just as good!"
Alex: "It's Fine"