Roast Turkey Seasoned with Sage
You will need:
- 1 Turkey (I used a 14 pounder I got last Thanksgiving)
- 4 large yellow onions
- Fresh Sage
- 1 roasting pan (I buy the foil ones, because my oven in miniature and wont fit a real roasting pan. Trust me I’ve tried)
- 1 roasting bag
- Salt and Pepper
- Defrost turkey (I took mine out of the freezer Monday night and put it in the refrigerator after I’d defrosted the freezer)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Take out the innards, the gizzard and all the other “goodies” that come with the bird.
- Wash the bird. (only with water, cold water)
- Cut 1 onion into 6 wedges
- Season the inside cavity with salt and pepper
- Place wedged onion and sage into cavity
- Rub entire bird with butter
- Cut other 3 onions in half place inside bag in the roasting pan, they will act as a roasting rack.
- Put bird breast side up on top of onions inside bag.
- Cook at 325 degrees for about 4 hours or until bird reaches an internal temperature of 170 – 175 degrees. It will continue cooking and the temp will rise the last little bit after it is removed from the oven.
- Remove dripping, make gravy if you want.
- Carve turkey. Though my is always so tender that it just falls off the bone. I know not a traditional looking bird, but no dry meat either.