I'm trying to cook lighter. Not only is it summer, but I'd like to lose a few pounds as well. This was an easy and delicious meal. Alex and I had green salad on the side to round out the meal. Tomorrow is a much needed day off. I'm going to go give blood and spend some time with my aunt. Happy Wednesday.
Baked Penne and Summer Veggies
Inspired by recipe found in July 2011 Cooking Light
- 1 (12-oz) box Organic Brown Rice Pasta (Penne)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow squash, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add oil to pan.
- Add squash and zucchini.
- Saute 5 minutes.
- Add Garlic and tomatoes.
- Saute 5 minutes
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Combine ricotta, remaining salt, and egg.
- Stir into pasta mixture.
- Spoon into a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish coated with cooking spray
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until bubbly and brown.