Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tarte aux Fraises


007

Today is a dear friend's Birthday, but I cannot be there to celebrate with her. To cheer myself up from this realization I decided to make this Fresh strawberry tart. It so happens that my co-worker's birthday is today as well, so she will be the recipient of all this birthday baking. I'm also super excited that this recipe incorporates three MtAoFC recipes all in one.
Recipe OnePate Sablee
This Sugar Crust was easy, but I'm not sure people should do what I did and come home to make it on my lunch hour. I only had five minutes left to eat some lunch, but it was worth it for beautiful dough. You can also see I didn't use the false-bottom cake pan. Truth be told I don't have one and I'd already spent enough money on the Cognac. Next time around I'll make it correctly. There will be a next time because my husband was disappointed that he didn't get to eat any. This is just the trial run.



001


Ingredients


  • 1 & 1/3 cups flour

  • 3 to 7 tbs granulated sugar

  • 1/8 tsp double-action baking powder

  • 7 tbs fat ( 5 tbs chilled butter and 2 tbs chilled shortening)

  • 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water

  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions

  • Place flour, sugar (I used 6 tbs), butter, shortening, and baking powder in the mixing bowl.

  • Rub together the fat and dry ingredients with finger tips

  • Blend in the egg and vanilla

  • Knead dough into a ball

  • Wrap in waxed paper

  • Chill for several hours until firm

  • Mold in a false bottom cake pan

  • Bake in oven for about 15 minutes until it begins to brown

003
Recipe Two


Creme Patissiere
This is a yummy custard filling. Note to self check that all ingredients are present before starting. I started making it only to have to send hubby to the store for milk because all we had in the refrigerator was soy milk, and that is just not the same.


Ingredients

  • 1 cup granulated sugar

  • 5 egg yolks

  • 1/2 cup flour

  • 2 cups boiling milk

  • 1 tbs butter

  • 2 tsp vanilla

  • 3 tbs cognac

Directions

  • Gradually beat sugar into egg yolks until mixture is pale yellow and forms ribbons

  • Beat in flour

  • Beating the yolk mixture, gradually pour on the boiling milk in a thin stream of droplets

  • Pour into sauce pan and heat over moderately high heat.

  • Stir with a wire whisk

  • When sauce comes to a boil, beat over a moderately low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.

  • Remove from heat

  • Beat in butter

  • Beat in vanilla and cognac

002
Recipe Three

Tarte aux Fraises
Finally, we come to the assembly portion, but wait there's more. We now need to make the glaze. I also added blue berries to the mix because they are yummy and look pretty.Ingredients

  • 1 quart of large ripe strawberries

  • 1 cup red currant jelly

  • 1 tbs granulated sugar

  • 1 tbs cognac

Directions

  • Have your pastry crust ready

  • Hull strawberries

  • Boil currant jelly, sugar, and cognac until it reaches 228 degrees

  • Paint the interior of the pastry crust

  • Let sit for five minutes

  • Spread custard onto bottom of pastry shell

  • Arrange strawberries over custard

  • Spoon glaze over strawberries.

  • Chill and serve.

006


Bon Appétit

D

.

Shared on:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...