Monday, January 13, 2014

Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna

Well the new year has come and gone.  

We are already two weeks into the new year and I have already caught a cold from the children in my class.  I spent all day on Saturday laying on my couch with a fever, watching the Vampire Diaries.  Luckily my fever broke and I was feeling better enough to make it into work today.  Tonight I have re-instituted meatless Mondays.  One of my goals for the new year is to eat less meat.  Some days I'm doing great with this endeavor.  Other days I'm just a giant carnivore.  I really do not apologize for my meat eating, but I would like to incorporate more fruits and vegetables.

For my other goal of reading 52 books this year, I have read two!



Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna

Ingredients:

  • 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained 
  • 7 oz canned kidney beans (about half a can), rinsed and drained 
  • 1 & 1/2 cups frozen corn
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Pinch of dried marjoram
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin 
  • 28 oz can crushed tomatoes 
  • 1 box of oven ready lasagna noodles 
  • 8 oz shredded Mexican blend cheese 
  • Splash of hot sauce 

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, and spices 
  3. Spread a thin layer of tomatoes on the bottom of a 8 X 8 inch glass baking dish 
  4. Layer with noodles, bean mixture, tomatoes, cheese, and hot sauce. 
  5. Top layer will be noodles, tomatoes, and remainder of cheese
  6. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes 
  7. Let stand 10 minutes 
  8. Cut and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...