Tomorrow, is my last day of practice teaching. It has been a long hard ride, but the end of this year of Montessori training is in sight. Today has been a good day. We were able to get a special dispensation from the California DMV to have our car smogged when we return in July and Alex was able to get a YEAR extension for renewing his driver's licence. I was worried that I would have to drive all the 3,000 miles home to Cali in July, but now I do not have to. Happy Day!
Because tomorrow is my last day at this lovely school in Maryland I'm making my yogurt cake. Though I made an extra one for Alex and I. For ours I made a few tweaks to the original recipe. I'm calling this one the new and improved yogurt cake!
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 coconut oil, heated to liquefy
- 2 large cage free eggs, room temperature
- 1 & 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 16 ounces of fresh strawberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Butter and flour a round cake pan
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together yogurt, sugar, salt, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add oil in a steady stream whisking to combine
- Add eggs one at a time, whisking after each to combine.
- Add flour mixture to yogurt mixture
- Whisk lightly to combine.
- Pour into cake pan
- Top with strawberries
- Bake on center rack for 45 minutes, until golden and slightly risen
The first cake of the evening: with diced peaches and apricots.