There are very few things that make me deliriously happy. Fresh baked bread with honey on top is one of them. After a long week of practice teaching, after dealing with another snafu with the California DMV regarding my vehicle, after learning I'll probably have to drive the entire 3,000 miles home in July, after another air bead sprung a leak, and missing my kitty it was time to treat myself.
Though this week was not an entire bust.
On Wednesday Alex and I went to see Jillian Michales at the beautiful Warner Theater in D.C.
Jillian Michaels is our new guru. We watch biggest loser, listen to her podcast, follow her on Facebook etc. This was a very happy moment in a long week.
Honey Whole Wheat Bread
- 2 packages of yeast
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 & 1/2 cups very warm water
- 4 & 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 & 3/4 to 3 & 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water in a large bowl
- Add honey, butter, salt, 2 & 1/2 cups very warm water, and 3 cups wheat flour
- Mix on low speed for one minute
- Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes
- Add remaining 1 & 1/2 cups of wheat flour and mix
- With a spoon stir in 2 & 1/4 to 2 & 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- Mix until dough pulls away cleanly from the side of the bowl
- On a lightly floured surface knead in the remaining 1/2 to 1 cup of flour
- Continue kneading for 10 minutes (adding more flour as needed)
- Grease a large bowl with olive oil, turn the dough in the bowl to cover all sides
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes
- Punch down dough and divide in half
- Place each half shaped into dough loaves in separate greased loaf pans
- Cover and let rise for 45 minutes
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees
- Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes
- Remove from pans and cool on a rack for about 1 hour