Happy Thanksgiving Eve.
I spent the day feeling sick. I should have finished my paper, but all I could muster was a quick trip to the grocery store for the sweet potatoes for the Garlic Roasted Yams that I'm making for Thanksgiving. The remainder of the day I laid on the floor watching Hell's Kitchen. This led me to looking up Epicurious.com. It's a pretty neat cooking page. I'd never seen it before in all my internet meanderings. There I saw a picture of corn bread and I really really wanted it. I kept thinking about melting butter on it and honey running down the sides. So, I pulled myself up and whipped this together.
- 1 & 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 & 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Butter a cake pan
- Combine cornmeal and milk in a small bowl, let rest for 5 minutes
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add cornmeal-milk mixture.
- Mix to combine
- Add eggs one at a time mixing to combine in between
- Slowly drizzle in oil whisking the entire time.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan
- Bake until golden brown on top and inserted toothpick comes out clean. ~35 minutes.