Green Beans with Bacon and Onion Vinaigrette
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound green beans, stem and tip ends trimmed
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
- Return the pan to medium heat.
- Add the onion, and saute until soft, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the oil, the vinegar, the mustard, salt to taste and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Set aside.
- Bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat and stir in 2 teaspoons salt.
- Add the green beans
- Reduce the heat to medium-high
- Cook until beans are just tender. 5-7 minutes
- Drain, rinse under cold water and wrap in a kitchen towel to dry
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the beans and saute until shiny and hot, 3-4 minutes
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vinaigrette.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or platter, break or crumble the bacon into large pieces on top
- Serve hot.