Saturday, August 13, 2011

In Search For...

I'm searching for that final ingredient to make some authentic Indian Food at home. I had no idea that finding this final piece of the recipe would be so difficult. Or that Indian food was such a complex mix of so many different spices. Keep in mind that all of these are just for one dish.

This spices that I have collected so far.

  • Coriander Seeds

  • Cumin Seeds

  • Chili Powder

  • Ground Tumeric

  • Cardamom seeds

  • Fresh Gingerroot

  • Garlic Cloves

  • Whole Cloves

  • Black Peppercorns

  • Cinnamon Sticks

  • Salt

  • Black Mustard Seeds

The elusive Spice.

  • Curry Leaves

I've searched high and low. None of the regular grocery stores in my town carry this spice. I tried the local specialty grocery store and still no curry leaves. Then, I made a trip to the larger metropolis hub and tried there specialty cooking stores. I found the Black Mustard Seeds, but still no curry leaves.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping that my journey will be at an end. I have learned of an Asian Market that is just a few blocks from my house. If I do not find the leaves there I'm going to have to break down and purchase them from the internet.

Everyone wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. I've read that they are REALLY hard to (impossible, almost) get outside Asia. I think it would be easier to get them online.
    There is a massive spice store here in Richmond. I'll give them a call and see if they have it. Then you will have an excuse to see me when I'm back in GV in two weeks :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...