This is the book, or at least one of the books, I'm reading right now. I am only on chapter four, but I just cannot put it down.
I find that I'm distracted by all the yummy recipes at the end of each chapter. My head swimming with thoughts of gooey chocolate centers and home made mayonnaise. From this point forward I think I'm going to just read the book parts and then come back later and look at the recipes.
However, tonight I decided to try my hand at Pasta a la Gwendal (pg 11). Though, I change it up a little to suit Alex and I's personal tastes.
So, I preset to you pasta a la Dianna or Alex.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, coarsely chopped
- 1 zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- A few left over mushrooms
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- Dried Parsley
- Ground Black Pepper
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan
- Add Pancetta, onions, and garlic
- Saute 2 to 3 minutes, until onions are translucent
- Add remaining vegetables, stirring to coat
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and sweet
- Cook pasta in large pot of salted water
- Drain, reserving a small cup of cooking liquid
- Add pasta to the sauce, with a bit of liquid
- Stir in parsley and ground black pepper
This dish goes well with my recent liking of fennel and sun-dried tomatoes. I wanted to eat it all by myself.