Sunday, May 29, 2011

Buttermilk cornbread

I made TWO cornbread recipes today to go with Today's Chili. I had originally planed on making a post for each of them, but as my husband pointed out one is a family recipe. Not that it's secret, but it's not mine to share. And between you and me it tasted better than this one. If I make this recipe again I would add honey to the mix. Sweeten it up a bit.

Is there anything better then warm cornbread? Don't answer that you probably have some favorite comfort food that just makes the world right when you eat it. For me that is cornbread. I have very found memories of my grandfather (no deceased) making cornbread to be served with dinner. I don't remember the dinner or if there was a specific dish he made it with, but the cornbread is remembered. The best part is drizzling honey all over it. I could go on and on. but here is the recipe for buttermilk corn bread found in Christmas with Southern Living 1996 pg 21.
003

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal

  • 1 cup flour

  • 2 tablespoons cup sugar

  • 1 tablespoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil

  • 2 tablespoons butter

  • 1 egg, lightly beaten

  • 1- 1/4 cup buttermilk

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees

  • Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.

  • Make a well in the center

  • Stir baking soda into buttermilk

  • Combine buttermilk mixture with egg, sugar, and oil

  • Add to the wet to the dry

  • Mix until just moistened

  • Pour into a buttered 8 inch square pan

  • Bake for 25 -30 minutes

Even though I didn't share the recipe, here is the Grandma Nora's Cornbread. It was so yummy.
Cornbread1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...