Monday, February 28, 2011

Boeuf aux Olives

Beef stew with Olives and Potatoes
(Mastering the Art of French cooking volume 2 page 149-154)

Brown Lardons:

005

Well here is the rub, where in the world do I find lardons?

Well I just settled for some thick cut bacon.

I cut them roughly into 1 & 1/2 inch segments then browned them in Olive oil.

Brown Meat:

006 (1)

Prep Vegetables:

Dice Onions then brown.

0071

Peal, remove seeds and roughly dice tomato.

008 (1)

Put it all in a Casserole with garlic, herb bouquet, beef stock, and red wine.

072

Then drink the rest of the wine...

073

Cook until beef tender.

About 1/2 hour before done (when ever that is) add the olives

0044

and potatoes.

0024

Cook for 1/2 hour and then make sauce

Remove liquid from casserole and put in sauce pan. Discard herb bouquet.

Skim off fat. Add flour and butter. Then bring to simmer.

Add sauce back with the stew.

Serve.

078

I'm not as in love with this one as the other beef stew I made. It was not bad. I'm just a little disappointed. You couldn't taste the Olives and the potatoes got all mushy. I think this is one that will not be a repeat in this household.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...