Happy Monday friends. Today was my first day back to work after a week off. The week off was much needed. I did a lot of thinking and soul searching. I began to read, again, from the beginning. Brene Brown's Daring Greatly.
On to other things. I am super proud of myself. I know that it is still March, but I am declaring March a bust this year and am going to fast forward to April. April is going to be the month where I make positive changes in myself. Starting with working out regularly. So, today I did week one of Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30.
I picked up this DVD when it came out last fall. To complement my new workout schedule I've made a healthy meal plan for the next week. Here is day one's recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 skinless chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced into thin rounds
- 3 springs of thyme
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 lemon sliced into thin rounds, after zesting
- 1cup whole wheat couscous
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in pan meaty side down, cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip chicken over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add broth and wine, to deglaze skillet.
- Scatter garlic, thyme, and olives on chicken.
- Lay one lemon round on each piece of chicken.
- Place skillet in oven, roasting chicken for 20 minutes.
- Prepare couscous according to package directions.
- Roast asparagus with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken over couscous with asparagus on the side sprinkled with lemon zest.