Monday, March 31, 2014

Mediterranean Chicken

007
Happy Monday friends.  Today was my first day back to work after a week off.  The week off was much needed.  I did a lot of thinking and soul searching.  I began to read, again, from the beginning.  Brene Brown's Daring Greatly. 
I think that this time around I might actually finish it.  I came to realize that a lot of my problems that I had this past month was from me withdrawing myself from human connection.  I finally today just summoned up my courage and asked for what I needed.  Only time will tell if things will improve the way that I want them to, but I feel better for putting myself out there.
On to other things.  I am super proud of myself.  I know that it is still March, but I am declaring March a bust this year and am going to fast forward to April.  April is going to be the month where I make positive changes in myself.  Starting with working out regularly.  So, today I did week one of Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30.
I picked up this DVD when it came out last fall.  To complement my new workout schedule I've made a healthy meal plan for the next week.   Here is day one's recipe. 

Mediterranean Chicken
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 8 skinless chicken thighs, bone-in
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 2 cloves of garlic, sliced into thin rounds
  • 3 springs of thyme
  • 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 lemon sliced into thin rounds, after zesting 
  • 1cup whole wheat couscous
  • 1/2 pound fresh asparagus 
 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  
  2. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. 
  3. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
  4.  Place chicken in pan meaty side down, cook for 5 minutes.
  5. 001
  6. Flip chicken over and cook for another 2 minutes.
  7. 002
  8. Add broth and wine, to deglaze skillet.
  9. Scatter garlic, thyme, and olives on chicken.
  10. 003
  11. Lay one lemon round on each piece of chicken.
  12. 005
  13. Place skillet in oven, roasting chicken for 20 minutes.
  14. Prepare couscous according to package directions.
  15. Roast asparagus with olive oil and salt and pepper.  
  16. Serve chicken over couscous with asparagus on the side sprinkled with lemon zest.
  17. 006 008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...