A cold fall evening.
Well all day it's been cold.
I've started a new scarf, but I'm not sure if the yarn is long enough I might have to pull it out and begin something else. A hat? A cowl? Or something else.
For dinner I decided to pull out my copy of The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker and put some lentils in the pot.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded, deveined, and chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- pinch of curry powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- springs fresh cilantro for garnish
- Rinse lentils
- Place them in the slow cooker
- Add water
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until lentils are tender.
- While cooking lentils prepare remaining items
- Melt butter over medium heat
- Add chopped onions
- Saute until brown
- Add cumin, mustard, ginger, and chilies cooking for another 5 minutes
- Add tomato and cook for another 5 minutes
- when lentils are ready add onions and tomatoes to the slow cooker
- Continue cooking for about 10 more minutes
- Add a pinch of curry powder and salt.
- Then stir in heavy cream
- Serve over rice with cilantro on top