Thursday, November 24, 2011

Caramel Apple Pie

010

Happy Turkey Day everyone!

Last night I spent quite a bit of time putting together this pie.

037

After work I took the time to go grocery shopping (no small feat) for all the ingredients for this pie.

And even though I lacked some of the equipment needed (candy thermometer).

I dove head first into this pie.

Alex and I contemplated on whether or not to just eat the pie last night or save it for the family Thanksgiving celebration.

Okay, I have a confession. I don't like Apple Pie, but it's Alex's favorite.

And he won the contemplation.

We dug into the pie and the family got none.

I even had a piece, well I did make it after all.

I still don't like apple pie. But this one was not bad.



034

Ingredients:

Caramel Sauce
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1/2 cup heave cream, room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pie
  • 2 pre-made pie crusts ( I know I should have made them by hand I just didn't have the time)
  • 8 cups of apples, sliced into medium slices
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 pinch of sea salt
  • caramel sauce
  • 1 egg
Directions:

Caramel Sauce
  • In a heavy sauce pan.
  • Stir together sugar, syrup, and water.
  • Heat over medium-high heat.
  • Stirring constantly until all sugar is dissolved and bubbling.
  • If you have a candy thermometer make sure the mixture is heated to 380 degrees F.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Then add heavy cream.
  • It will boil and bubble when it is done mix with a spatula.
  • Re heat if everything is not combined.
  • Removed from heat.
  • Add butter.
  • Stir until dissolved
  • Cool for 4 minutes.
  • Stir in vanilla.

    015
Pie
  • Place apples in a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.
014


  • In a small bowl combine flour and cinnamon.
  • Toss the apples with the flour mixture.
  • Combine well.
  • Set aside.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  • Spray pie plate with non-stick spray.
  • Lay one pie crust down onto the pie plate.


017

  • Add apples to pie plate


018

  • Pour caramel sauce over apples stir a little
  • sprinkle sea salt over top.
  • Cut butter into chunks
  • Place butter on top of apples.


019


  • Place second pie crust over the top.
  • Crimp edges.
  • Whisk egg in a small bowl.
  • Brush egg over the top.
  • Cut 5 slits into top, to vent.


020

  • Bake at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes.
  • Let cool for about 30 minutes.
  • Cut and serve.


038

1 comment:

  1. Dianna, Your Carmel Apple Pie can out just fantastic! Makes me want to make my carmel apple cake. Back has been giving me fits, so not been able to do much of anything.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...