Thursday, September 22, 2011

Shrimp Tortilla Soup

003

As I was driving to work this morning to my delight this song started playing on the radio. Of course I had to turn it up and sing along.


Now some of you might think this is strange, but others will know that I am strange. The truth is this song takes me right back to high school. And I unlike lot of people I know, I loved high school. So there you go.

Now on to the recipe for today.

Shrimp Tortilla Soup
Inspired by Rachael Ray's Chicken or Shrimp Fajita-Tortilla Soup

001

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound peeled, deveined shrimp, tails removed. (I used the previously cooked kind)
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 2 tablespoons thyme
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 1 large red bell pepper
  • 1 green hot pepper
  • 1 red hot pepper
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
  • 1 quart chicken broth
  • 1 bag white corn tortilla chips
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 ripe avocado

Directions:
  • In a large pot heat olive oil over medium-heat.
  • (If using raw shrimp cook shrimp first with spices for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan)
  • Add onions, bell peppers, hot peppers, coriander, thyme, salt and pepper
  • Cook for about 6 to 7 minutes.
  • Add broth and tomatoes until boiling.
  • Add shrimp to heat briefly.
  • Crush some tortilla chips and place in bottom of bowl
  • Add 1/4 cups cheese
  • Then ladle soup over top.
  • Garnish with avocado


002

Happy last day of Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...