Sunday, August 28, 2011

Country Inn Breakfast Bread

Breakfast Bread 6

Last night my house smelled like an Indian Restaurant.

This morning it smells like cinnamon and sugar.

I'm happy with the change.

And this is how it happened.

I got up this morning and saw a large tub of Nutella sitting on my counter. At this point I really want something with Nutella on it. I searched high and low, no bread. Alex must have eaten it all with peanut-butter and jelly. So I get the bright idea, why not make my own bread. I should have all the ingredients for something.

Now I cannot bake without something to listen to, mostly I just put on my Journey Pandora station and turn it up loud to cover the sound of my singing along. Not this morning though. Yesterday, in my lazy day mode I started listening to Joy the Baker's Podcast, on Homefries.

Today, I listened to Episode 2, where they talk about blog stats and Joy's obsession with sunflowers in her younger days. I had a similar sunflower obsession, with trying to surround my self with as much sunflowers as possible, even with getting the perfume. Well into my early twenties did my grandmother give me presents with a sunflower and or cow theme. See I loved black and white cows so much when I was young that I even refused to eat beef up until a little over three years ago. It seems silly now, but I still have some of those cow mementos scattered throughout the house.

cow1

So it is a little strange to have cow figurines scattered about, but they remind me of my grandma.

cow2

On to the bread. It was warm and sweet, but not over powering. Just perfect for breakfast. I do have to confess a put a little Nutella on it and well... It was better without it, but a girl has got to indulge her cravings at least a little. I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.


Country Inn Breakfast Bread
from Old Fashioned Bread Recipes by Bear Wallow Books.

Ingredients:

Bread:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk (which I didn't have, but I'll explain)
Topping:
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoons butter, in pieces
  • dash nutmeg
Directions:

Buttermilk:
  • Warm 1 cup of milk on the stove top slowly stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
My first attempt was a disaster. I put way too much lemon juice in and all the milk solids separated out.

breakfast bread 002

Bread:
  • Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ground cloves in a bowl.
  • Set aside.
  • In a larger bowl combine remaining ingredients.
  • Gradually stir dry mixture into liquid mixture.

breakfast bread 004

  • Pour batter into 9x5x3 inch greased loaf pan.
  • Sprinkle topping over the top.


breakfast bread 006


Topping:
  • I combined all the ingredients into a weird paste mixture. I don't recommend this.
  • I say just sprinkle the individual ingredients over the top of the batter.
  • Then dot with butter.


breakfast bread 007

Bake:
  • 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • For 45 to 50 minutes
  • Serve hot.


007

Now I need to work on at least a little of my to do list. At least put in a load of laundry and make a file for my CV an Letter of Intent. Wish me some motivation.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...