Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The BBQ sauce experiment

The BBQ sauce experiment.

So I bought some chicken after work today. Drove home and convinced hubby to barbecue, well actually grill. So we were gathering all supplies and prepping the grill, when I realized that we have no barbecue sauce. Alex said no problem we'll figure something out. I get the great idea to try and make my own sauce.

Step over to the desktop and clicky clack. Up pops Neely's BBQ Sauce recipe on the Food network. No problem I think. I have these things. Meanwhile Alex realizes that we are very low on briquettes. So I say run to the store and pick up some sauce while your at it. Just in case.

At this point I have my trusty sauce pan in hand and have measured out the precious ketchup. There is really no turning back now. So I'm going forward and find I do not have all the ingredients that I need, here a sane person would accept defeat. But not me. I charge on full speed ahead. Making random substitutions along the way.

So here is the recipe that I made.
BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

  • Almost 2 cups ketchup

  • Almost 1 cup water

  • 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar

  • 4 heaping tablespoons brown sugar

  • 5 tablespoons sugar

  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

  • a sprinkle of garlic powder

  • 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard

  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

  • In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients.

  • Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.

  • Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Needless to say, we used the store bought sauce for tonight's dinner. Maybe this sauce will be used tomorrow or some other time soon. I'll let you know how it tastes.

Afterward: Alex says he likes the homemade sauce better than the store bought one. It's very peppery and has a kick to it.

1 comment:

  1. A sane person would also not set something on the stove to simmer for an hour when it's 100 outside! ;) just teasing, D!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...